Pediatric Dentistry: Beginning a Lifetime of Great Oral Health
Young patients have unique dental health needs, and the pediatric dentistry treatments performed at our Northampton, MA, office can help your children achieve a lifetime of healthy smiles. Led by our caring dentist, Dr. Teddi Olszewski, our team will help your children become comfortable with dental appointments so they can receive the important oral healthcare they need. We can also help your little ones learn proper brushing and flossing techniques. Contact Northampton Family & Cosmetic Dentistry today to schedule an appointment for your child.
Your Child's First Visit
We recommend that children visit us around the time of their first birthday, or as soon as one of their teeth has erupted through the gums. When children are introduced to the dental office early in life, they are more likely to always feel comfortable under a dentist's care. Our team is trained to help children feel at-home during their visits so that they are happy to return every six months.
During your child's first visit, our hygienist will take you both on a tour of our dental office. Dr. Olszewski will meet your child and perform a quick visual examination. If your child is comfortable enough, he or she can sit in a treatment chair alone or in your lap. Your child's first dental appointment will last only as long as your child is comfortable and happy.
At-home Dental Care
During your child's first visit and each following visit, we will provide a child-size, soft-bristled tooth brush to use at home. You can begin introducing your child to this tooth brush by gently brushing his or her gums and any erupted teeth, and gradually introducing a small amount of toothpaste. It is important to lead by example, allowing your child to watch you as you brush and floss. Once they are old enough, your children can begin to brush their teeth on their own and use dental floss. Dr. Olszewski will help you to determine when this step is right for your child.
Continued Dental Care
Your children should undergo a routine exam every six months. Dr. Olszewski will evaluate your child's teeth and ensure that periodontal tissues are free from decay and infection. Common pediatric treatments include:
- Fluoride Treatment - Fluoride provides important minerals to dental enamel, reducing the risk of decay. Fluoride treatments are completely safe and painless for your children.
- Dental Sealants - Dental sealants are applied to molars and other teeth with deep grooves to guard the enamel from bacteria. Sealants can be applied to primary ("baby") teeth, or permanent teeth.
- Tooth Extraction - If your child has a primary tooth that needs to be extracted because it has become decayed or will not fall out on its own, Dr. Olszewski can provide gentle extraction. She will numb the treatment area before extraction, and can provide nitrous oxide sedation for your child's comfort.
- Dental Fillings - Dr. Olszewski can place fillings on primary and permanent teeth that have been treated for cavities.
- Orthodontic Care - Once your child's permanent teeth have begun to grow in, Dr. Olszewski can begin to evaluate them to determine if orthodontic treatment is necessary. Dr. Olszewski provides traditional braces and retainers to straighten your child's teeth.
Set the Stage for Lifelong Oral Health
We encourage you to contact our office today to schedule your child's first dental appointment. We are happy to answer any questions you might have as you begin introducing your child to oral healthcare.